Betray a certain reluctance

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
Hello, friends.

I am currently translating into Catalan a journal entry by a Victorian lady called Hope Edwardes (late 19th cent.) and have just bumped into the following:

Teodora is engaged to a young man who betrays a certain reluctance to name the day, and Teodora has now told him she cannot be kept in uncertainty any longer and has given him a week, by the end of which he must have decided.

There is hardly no other info on this couple in the text. I understand that these two are engaged but that he shows no interest in deciding on a date to get married and this makes the girl nervous. What I don't understant, though, is the use of the verb TO BETRAY. It seems strange to me in this context (to betray a certain reluctance).

Any ideas, English speakers? :)

• Au101

England, English (UK)
    Hello, "Betray" here means that he has revealed that he does not want to get married, but he does not want to reveal this. This definition from wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn: "reveal unintentionally; "Her smile betrayed her true feelings" sums that up well. As the sentence suggests it stems from feeling betraying the person. It is correct. Good luck with your translation. Best wishes.

ewie

English English
    That's exactly it, TPS: the chap is inadvertently revealing his reluctance ... perhaps by changing the subject every time the wedding date is mentioned.

< Previous | Next >