better be sweet than sorry

• Barque

Tamil
    I think it means "Try not to lose your temper". It's better to stay polite (sweet) than say something angrily that you might regret later.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Please tell us where you found this, OceaneB. This is not a standard phrase. It is perhaps a reference to an old saying, which is "It's better to be safe than sorry," but it's hard to tell what the meaning is without context. So please tell us where you found it and what else was going on at the time.

OceaneB

French - France
    Please tell us where you found this, OceaneB. This is not a standard phrase. It is perhaps a reference to an old saying, which is "It's better to be safe than sorry," but it's hard to tell what the meaning is without context. So please tell us where you found it and what else was going on at the time.
    I found this on a diary that I found nice, but I didn't want to buy a thing with a phrase that I don't understand... So there isn't a specific context.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    We have a phrase "If you don't have anything good/nice to say, then say nothing", which I think captures the same meaning.

i.e. Don't say something that might hurt someone, that you will regret later.

< Previous | Next >