Better do us in a group, Vulcan and Venus under the net of art

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 424, chapter 18) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Mellors were watched Duncan's paintings. And he said these pictures murder all the bowels of compassion in a man. Duncan got angry and said he promised to pose as the fatehr of Connie's baby only on the condition that Connie came to be his model…)

‘……I only do it on that condition.’ The artist tried to put the utmost contempt of the other person into his speech. He put a little too much. (by Duncan)
‘Better have me as a model at the same time,’ said Mellors. ‘Better do us in a group, Vulcan and Venus under the net of art. I used to be a blacksmith, before I was a game-keeper.’ (by Mellors)

The blue sentence is very confusing to me. How should I understand it please?
Now I do my best to rewrite it as:
you'd better draw us together(=in a group), Vulcan and Venus(maybe a couple) under the net of art.

But what does under the net art mean? I suspect there was a legend about the couple and the net. And I feel the blue sentence has nothing to do with the subseqent one in logic.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    In Greek/Roman mythology, Venus was the wife of the unattractive Vulcan, but she was unfaithful with the more attractive Mars. Vulcan the blacksmith made an unbreakable net, put it over the bed, and caught them in the act. Mellors is comparing himself to the unattractive one, altering the mythological reference a bit.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thanks a lot. This fits the context very much.
    So I infer that Mellors was mocking Duncan. He's not really asking to be his model.
    He might be jealous of Duncan, that's why he said he used to be a blacksmith (as Mars). He wanted to remind Duncan that he can Connie were a couple.
    Is that right?

If it's right, another question occurs:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >