Better dwell in the midst of alarms

• Dracule

USA; English
    it looks like a part of a poem. and poetry can have different interperatations.

I guess the author is saying that his life is not good because of what he's been encountering and he would rather live in constant noise...

I have no idea thats just a stab at it.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Better dwell in the midst of alarms
    Than reign in this horrible place.

Could anyone explain this? [I have no more context]
    This reminds me of a biblical passage: It is better to be a door-keeper in the house of the lord than to dwell in the tents of the wicked. (I'm afraid I don't know the location in the text.)

My interpretation of the alarms - place passage is: Wherever the speaker is, it is probably pretty quiet and he doesn't get roused unexpectedly from his rest or other tasks. However, there are other things that are so terrible about the place that it would be better to live in a place where he is constantly roused by emergencies and alarms.

Orange Blossom

dn88

Polish
    Sorry, I've deleted it too hastily, here it is once again:

I found the given sentene in William Cowper's quote, it's preceded with a question connected with solitude:

"O solitude, where are the charms
    That sages have seen in thy face?
    Better dwell in the midst of alarms,
    Than reign in this horrible place."
    That makes the point much clearer now. :) In my humble opinion the author emphasizes that solitude must be something horrible. He says that even living in some noisy place is better than being alone.

But I can also think of another interpratation in case you disagree with the one above.

That's my opinon. Any other ones?

dn88

Polish
    Since it's a kind of poetry, sometimes it may be ambiguous as you perfectly know. That's why I usually have more than one interpratation. :). Thank you JamesM. :)

< Previous | Next >