better, matter - Wales tapped r in place of /t/ and /d/ (pronunciation)

< Previous | Next >
  • SydLexia

    Senior Member
    UK English
    I assume he's talking about the 'tapped r' as opposed to the 'rolled r'.

    will, could you give us some examples of where this might occur?



    Senior Member
    English, U.S.
    The Google Books Ngram Viewer shows a jolly mix of "tap r", "flap r", "tapped r", "flapped r" for that sound.
    My linguistic dictionaries say some phoneticians distinguish between a tap and a flap, but it seems too technical for here.
    The words given by will (better, gotta, somebody...) are all good examples of taps/flaps in American English, but—back to will's original question—
    I've never heard of the tflapp(ed) /t/ and /d/ having a place in the British Isles. Is there a well-kept secret in Wales?
    < Previous | Next >