better off for it

la caixa

Poland, Polish
"At this stage, these people have no expextations of owning satellite TV, fridges or carpets, and ______ certainly better off for it."

This is the end of the text so there's no more context in this case. I don't know what to put here. Thanks for any help!

• roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    La Caixa, how are you? It's actually a frase that's missing a word:

To be better off is the phrase

So, La caixa which form of "to be" do you think should be added in the blank? ;)

You should listen to Roxette's b-side song "Better off on her own": She's better off on her own..."

Pablo

Barbarella02

Czech
    I would like to ask about the meaning of the phrase in la caixa´s sentence. Could anybody explain? Does it mean that the people could afford satellite TV, fridges or carpets?

morior_invictus

Slovak
    I would like to ask about the meaning of the phrase in la caixa´s sentence. Could anybody explain? Does it mean that the people could afford satellite TV, fridges or carpets?
    Hi Barbarella,
    in general, "to be better off doing something" = to benefit from doing something , to be in a more fortunate, preferable, prosperous condition because of doing something
    or "to be better off without someone / something" is also used, for instance:
    I`m better off without you = I will be happier alone / without a relationship with you.
    I`m better off living on my own = My life will be better if I live alone.
    I`m better off than you = I have more money than you.
    So to answer your question, "They benefit from having no expectations of owning satellite TV, fridges or carpets."

See also:
    be better off
    be better off taking VS had better take
    better off
    better off
    better off
    better off
    better off
    Better off and worse off
    I'd better be off
    I'm better off with you
    individual A is better off than individual B