<better off on my own>

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
I'm better off on my own ♪
When I was student my teacher told that the sentence, which I quoted above, meant someone made a his(or her) fortune by himself(or herself).

But I'd heard of some lyrics sung as 'Better off on my own' by Sum 41 few days ago, and I listened to this song yesterday.

At that time, I thought there was possible My teacher could be wrong.

To me, the quotation means "I'm better from being alone" or "I had better be alone".

I guess that I'm right, but I'm not sure about it. Please tell me the truth or correct me if I'm wrong. :) Thank you.

Last edited:
  • dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    It's all about context, mink-shin. In a specific context, your teacher might have been correct. We can't tell because we don't know that context. If you post some of the lyrics surrounding the quoted line we might be able to help.

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hi, dermott.

First, thank you for replying.

your teacher might have been correct.
    And yes you're right. It was hasty and rash to think of my teacher's teaching as wrong without context. Unfortunately, I don't remember what context was.

If you post some of the lyrics surrounding the quoted line we might be able to help.
    Yes, I should have post this thread with more lyrics.

I’d say all the words that I know
    Just to see if it would show
    But I tried to let you know
    That I’m better off on my own (from 'piece' sung by sum41)

Anyway, thank you, dermott.

Hello.

It can mean 'better off financially by living alone' or 'better off being by yourself'.
    Hi, Greyfriar.

Thank you for replying.

< Previous | Next >