better off

saarah7

urdu
He is better off where he is. It is better to let me be where he is now.
Is it correct?If not please correct the sentence.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    He is better off where he is. It is better to let me be where he is now.
    Is it correct?If not please correct the sentence.
    Hi saarah7
    Yes you can say He is better off where he is. However, I am not sure what you wish to portray in the second sentence.

If the me is correct you could say "I would like to be where he is now."

But if you mean to say "....to let him be where he is now" to emphasise the first sentence you could say "It is best he stay there for now."

Adam Cruge

Banned
    India & Bengali
    Yes it is correct.
    "better off" means "well beings"...
    The sentence can be written in this way:
    "He is overall happy and is good where he is. It is better to let me be where he is now."

saarah7

urdu
    Hi saarah7
    Yes you can say He is better off where he is. However, I am not sure what you wish to portray in the second sentence.

If the me is correct you could say "I would like to be where he is now."

But if you mean to say "....to let him be where he is now" to emphasise the first sentence you could say "It is best he stay there for now."
    Ofcourse me is not correct.I wanted to say''him''. What does thia imply?He is better off where he is.

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    The implication is that he could be somewhere else but for his own safety/well-being the author believes he should remain where he is at least temporarily.
    I don't know the context but it could be that "he" has been ill and is in hospital, he may wish to leave (or others may wish him to leave) but he needs constant nursing care which can't be provided (easily) at home, therefore "he is better off where he is."
    Or, he could be a soldier who is keen to see some action but his family are happy that he has not been sent to the front yet as so many injuries are being reported. They would consider that "he is better off where he is" as he's less likely to be harmed.

Hope that helps!

< Previous | Next >