between persistence and resignation

Salios

Arabic
Hi all,

I am trying to translate to Arabic the following: between persistence and resignation

I am stuck with resignation. so far I got: استسلام & تسليم but I am not happy with them. Anyone has any other ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

• Salios

Arabic
    thanks for your reply,

when we are talking about matters of life hopes, dreams and love.

Persistence in the sense of keeping trying to fulfil your dream against the odds and resignation in the sense of allowing yourself to accept your lot in life and commit yourself to that.

I hope this is helpfull

Ghabi

AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod
    Cantonese
    Hello. Can you provide a complete sentence? What is the sentence in which the words "between persistence and resignation" are used?

Salios

Arabic
    Hi Ghabi.

Thanks for your reply. I do not have the complete sentence. Sometime ago, someone asked me to help him to translate this phrase. I just remembered I was stuck with resignation. I could not find a better word in Arabic dictionary without the implication of surrender.

thanks again

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I am aware. يأس does not fit the description provided in #3 (which I quoted); قناعة does.

abdulwahid

Nordic
    Ah I see, but in Arabic قناعة is something positive. I might be wrong but doesn't resignation have negative connotations?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    يأس is negative and قناعة is positive. "Resignation" isn't positive but it's also not nearly as negative as يأس. Since Salios's description in #3 was positive, I suggested قناعة, which isn't perfect but it does express more or less what Salios seems to intend.

Salios

Arabic
    Thanks Elroy. However, I find قناعة too positive for the positive المثابرة. Perhaps I can find a middle between the two and say: بين الإصرارواليأس
    still your translation has given a food for thought.

apricots

English - US
    If despair is the most accurate translation of يأس there is no way that is the correct word. Resignation means sitting back and saying whatever, هيك الدنيا I can't do anything more.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Salios, you have to decide what exactly you want to express before we can help you.

Abdulwahid, يأس and "resignation" are very different things, at least in the vast majority of contexts. يأس is about despairing because you don't see any hope of the situation improving. It's about giving up after trying to no avail. "Resignation" is just an attitude of "I'm just going to accept the situation," "I'm going to resign myself to the circumstances." You can choose resignation because you have experienced despair and hopelessness, but they are not the same thing.

There is an Arabic equivalent of "resignation," and it's التسليم بالأمر. This does not imply "surrender," which is الاستسلام.

< Previous | Next >