Between two patrilineal lines

< Previous | Next >

Henryk

Germany, German
Hello,

Can someone explain to me the part in bold? I can't seem to make sense of it.

Political ties exist primarily on the community level with a headman, or chief, who inherits his position along patrilineal lines. Royal succession among the Idoma often alternates between two patrilineal lines, to some extent weakening the power of the ruler.

Thanks in advance.

• katie_here

England/English
    Patriarch is the father Lineal is the line.

So patrilineal is the descent line from the father, from father to son to son to son.

It seems that the line of descent is alternating from one family to another.

Henryk

Germany, German
    Hi Kate, :)

Yes, I know that. Though I have no idea what is meant by "two patrilineal lines". Why are there two patrilineal lines? I hope this is not outside the scope of this forum.

katie_here

England/English
    I think only the Idoma will know why there are two patrilineal lines.

It would seem at one point in history, one family that were chiefs, we joined by another family.

I'll try and make a story of it, because it's the only way I can explain.

A long time ago, there was a chief called John. He had inherited the title from his father. John had twin boys as his first born. Each had a claim to be chief as they were born only minutes apart.

When their father had died, Twin 1 (Paul) and Twin 2 (Peter), took turns to be chief. They both had children of their own.

Paul had a son first, and he became chief when Paul died. This son didn't live long, so Peter's son became the next chief.

after that, they took it in turns, first the decendents of Paul and then the descendents of Peter. Two patrilineal lines. :)

But that's only my little made-up story, it's the only way I can describe there being two lines, but as I said earlier, only the Idamo will know the real reason.

< Previous | Next >