between you and I, a pun?

tonko

Italian
Hello :D
I'm not sure how common is this mistake in colloquial language,specifically among native English speakers, actually I would not define if as a mistake but rather considered it as a hypercorrection. So I was simply thinking, and this kind of pun just pop in my mind.

Between U and I is nothing.
or
Between you and I is nothing.

I would appreciate a comment from some of you if you would happen to find it funny and read it as a pun, or it has no sense at all.

• Nucleara

Hello :D
    I'm not sure how common is this mistake in colloquial language,specifically among native English speakers, actually I would not define if as a mistake but rather considered it as a hypercorrection. So I was simply thinking, and this kind of pun just pop in my mind.

Between U and I is nothing.
    or
    Between you and I is nothing.

I would appreciate a comment from some of you if you would happen to find it funny and read it as a pun, or it has no sense at all.
    Do you mean the contonent 'U' instead of 'you' ?

Spira

Banned
    UK English
    Well, to begin with, it should read between you and me (me being the dative case of the first person pronoun)

As far as the pun goes, I suppose the first one can mean something (although working backwards there are actually eleven letters between U and I), even if I have seen funnier ones.

tonko

Italian
    Ok in that case maybe it is silly, the point would be that is logical at least to a native speaker.
    I said a soft of a pun as it should have a triple meaning, at least to me it does.
    I'm not sure what did you grasp but apparenty not enough ambiguous to be considered as a form of word play.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    What is there to grasp? Explain yourself, please. I don't follow your logic at all when you say that this is a pun.

tonko

Italian
    I'm sorry I did not intend to be pretentious claiming myself to be a funny guy, simply I was trying to come up with something, probably fare away from funny but there is some sense in it, at least to me :D

You can imagine how demanding it could be to make a pun being a non-native speaker. Just trying to be creative.

tonko

Italian
    Yes, therefore I do consider it as 'a computer pun', meaning it can only be used if you are close to a keyboard.
    And I was thinking that "between U and I" is nothing as it is grammatically incorrect. It could maybe even mean "between us there is nothing".

Anyroad, thanks for all the comments. :D

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It would work on my keyboard, if I were thinking of a keyboard. However, that is very unlikely in my case.

Last edited:

tonko

Italian
    Ok , I give up :D

@pickarooney Thanks for your remark, "0" is more nothing than "no key", and that would be perfect.

@Cagey Ok, it is too much confusing obviously, then there is no charm in it.

p.s. Thank you all for the interesting discussion, any further comments are welcomed and will be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >