bev nap or coaster

Alaor Santos

Portuguese Brazil
Hi

Which is more common both in Britain and the USA?

What do you call that object to rest your glass on so you will not get the table wet when having an iced beverage? 'Bev nap' or 'coaster'?
It is usually round and made of cardboard paper. Maybe 'nap' would stand for 'napkin', and that is not what I am looking for.

http://www.google.com.br/imgres?sta...ndsp=59&ved=1t:429,r:53,s:54,i:55&tx=77&ty=61

Thank you

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    In AE it's "coaster." "Bev nap" sounds BE to me, but obviously this AE speaker can't attest to that. Out of this context, I would have had no idea what it meant.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I have honestly never heard of "bev nap".

A coaster is usually a re-usable, flat, non-absorbent disk. It is often found on a table in ordinary homes but also at some restaurants.

At a pub or bar, you would expect to see beer-mats or drink-mats; these are, as you describe, made of a felt-like card and are absorbent but not re-usable.

Myridon

English - US
    The small folded squares of paper are are called cocktail napkins or beverage napkins in AE. I haven't heard it, but I suppose someone might be abbreviating that to bev nap, but it's not the object you are describing, though it can serve that purpose among others.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The small folded squares of paper are are called cocktail napkins or beverage napkins in AE. I haven't heard it, but I suppose someone might be abbreviating that to bev nap, but it's not the object you are describing, though it can serve that purpose among others.
    The "saloon" and restaurant trade sites are the main ones that come up when you google "bev naps" , but I'd agree with the other comments that their customers don't use the short form. They are provided with drinks in many places and can be used as you describe. However, they are as Myridon describes. The card ones are beer mats in both AmE and BrE (but also coasters in AmE), even if other drinks are put on them!

PS
    We used napkins (and napkin rings) to catch the dribble and splatter at the dinner table when I was back in blighty! Some called them serviettes and they were made of fabric until disposable paper ones were, um, developed.

Last edited:

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    There is a brand of napkins called BevNap. From having a look at images (you can do an internet search for them), they look like normal paper napkins to me. They are certainly not coasters.

As far as I know, the term is not used anywhere to mean "coaster".

< Previous | Next >