Bevor wir beginnen, möchte ich Ihnen einige Auswahlfragen stellen.

< Previous | Next >

turnsj98

English
I am currently reviewing the translation of a questionnaire, and the following translation appeared strange to me:

Before we begin, we would like to ask you a few screening questions > Bevor wir beginnen, möchte ich Ihnen einige Auswahlfragen stellen

'Ich' seems strange to me, but I don't know the German (or Swiss German) language well enough.

Could anyone advise me as to whether this is the correct translation please?

Many thanks in advance

• Kajjo

Bevor wir beginnen, möchte ich Ihnen einige Auswahlfragen stellen.
    This is correct German.

The first "wir" relates to the interviewer and the addressed person, the "ich" relates to the interviewer. This is certainly possible in English, too.

Before we begin, I would like to ask you a few screening questions.

The same is true vice versa. You could use "wir ... wir" both times in German if you consider the interviewer to be a group.

Last edited:

turnsj98

English
    This is correct German.

The first "wir" relates to the interviewer and the addressed person, the "ich" relates to the interviewer. This is certainly possible in English, too.

Before we begin, I would like to ask you a few screening questions.

The same is true vice versa. You cold use "wir ... wir" both times in German if you consider the interviewer to be a group.
    Thank you very much for the quick reply, that makes sense to me.
    For some further context, it's an online questionnaire, and the 'interviewer' is the company running the questionnaire, so I think in English it would sound strange to me - would this be strange given the context in German or not?

Kajjo

would this be strange given the context in German or not?
    A computer program might address itself as "ich", which gives a certain futuristic feeling of artificial intelligence. In normal style I would expect a "wir" to represent the company.

Personally, I would avoid such weird situation by rephrasing.

Bevor wir beginnen, beantworten Sie bitte einige Auswahlfragen.

< Previous | Next >