bevorzugen vs. vorziehen

semiller

USA-English
Hallo! I was wondering if there was a difference between the following sentences. "Ich ziehe Deutsches Essen vor." and "Ich bevorzuge Deutsches Essen." Is there a difference between the verbs bevorzugen and vorziehen? Thanks in advance!

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    This is just my observation, but I always have felt German prefers using a dative construction for this.

I might say:
    Deutsches Essen ist/wäre mir lieber.
    Deutsches Essen gefällt mir besser.

[Insert emoticon with the head-scratch that I can't find in the new system.]

Maybe you could explain more what you want to say, semiller.

bearded

Hello
    I think that an idiomatic sentence would read: Deutsches Essen schmeckt mir besser /am besten (depending on whether you compare German food with just one or some other cuisines, or you mean it is the best of all).

semiller

USA-English
    Hallo! I am not really insisting on preferring which type of food. I am more interested in the difference between "bevorzugen" and "vorziehen" in any insistence. I see that with food/drink "schmecken" and its dative construction is used more but I guess 'bevorzugen" and "vorziehen" could be used for activities and other options. Correct? Danke im voraus!

bearded

I think that the difference between the two verbs is very small. Anyhow, it seems to me that in a comparison (to prefer smthg. rather than..)
    vorziehen + dative is more common (einige Leute ziehen das Handeln dem Faulenzen vor), whereas 'bevorzugen' is more suitable if you talk about your 'favourite' activity (absolutely preferred.. Unter allen Turnübungen bevorzuge ich das Springen). I hope that native speakers will confirm this.
    You are certainly aware that another form exists in German to mean 'prefer', i.e. with lieber/am liebsten : ich will nicht spazieren gehen, ich schlafe lieber. Was Tiere am liebsten tun, ist Fressen.

Kajjo

@semiller: Both verbs can have several meanings and, as usual, a concrete context is necessary to explain differences.

In many cases the two verbs are quite close in meaning. As bearded man already mentioned, there are a lot of other idiomatic ways to express favoring and preferring.

semiller

USA-English
    @Kajjo: As usual, I did provide a concrete example and am aware there are other idiomatic ways to express favoring and preferring. I was simply curious if there was a slight difference between the vorziehen and bevorzugen. Yes, I see now that there is very little difference in meaning.

< Previous | Next >