beyond the grave

Pedritha

Brasil - Portuguese
Hi people, I would like to know the meaning of "beyond the grave", specialy in "talking beyond the grave".
Thanks a lot.

• Trisia

Romanian
    Hi, Pedritha, welcome to the forum :)

We appreciate it a lot when you can give us context (a complete sentence)

"Beyond the grave" - this is related to things that happen after death, but you'll find this expression used a lot when it comes to a connection between the dead and the living.

"Talking from beyond the grave" - the words of the dead person are still audible (metaphorically speaking) today.

Do you have a complete sentence?

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Communication from beyond the grave is basically communication with dead people, i.e. ghosts. So, if a person is talking to you from beyond the grave, it is a ghost. ;)

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Hmm, I've just seen Trisia's response from earlier. I guess you could use "beyond the grave" in that sense, but it is much more common to hear it in the context of ghosts.

If you were trying to say that an author's words were still being heard after her death, then you would more likely say something like "Her words are still as relevant today as they were in the author's time" not "Her words are heard from beyond the grave."

Pedritha

Brasil - Portuguese
    Trisia and Tegs, thanks for your quick answear.
    I haven't a complete sentece. I just listened somebody speaking. I thought it was an expression and I understood that means "gossip" or "talk from behind the people". Does it make sense to you?

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    No, it would definitely not be used in that sense. What you hear in that sense is backstabbing - literally, putting a knife in someone's back:

They were backstabbing about her, even though they pretend to be her friend = they were talking about her behind her back, and saying nasty things, even though they say they are her friend.

Talking from beyond the grave involves dead people communicating :D

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    No, "beyond the grave" means after death. It has no other meaning that I am aware of.

When I read classic literature from the 17th century, it is as though the authors are speaking to me from beyond the grave.

gasman

Canada, English
    Perhaps the phrase could be considered to mean that a suggestion, proposal, or opinion written or spoken in the past, by someone now dead, could be applicable to a discussion or problem of the present time.

< Previous | Next >