BEYOTCH [biatch / bitch]

Wesley To

Cantonese
Hi,

I just came across the word BEYOTCH and learnt its meaning but I just can't figure out how it should be pronounced by looking at it. Could anyone enlighten me?

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Emrysk

British English
    If truth be told, I didn't know what this word mean.
    I'd pronounce it as bee-yoch or something like that but then again I hadn't heard of it until this moment.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    'Bee' followed by 'otch' as in 'Scotch.' It's a humorous drawing out into two syllables*--also done for disguise from parents or euphemism. Similarly, Sheeyat.

---
    *As Parla has said, above.
    I would consider it more like "bee 'yotch'" instead of "'otch'".

The "y" is key for me

This may depend on where you are in the "biatch" speaking world.

<< Drifting from topic. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
    Not to be picky, but if one says 'bee' followed immediately by 'otch,' there will be a kind of 'y' sound as initial to the 'otch', though I'm not sure of the name for this phenomenon. Similarly if you say 'bee' followed by 'ond' (rhyming with 'pond'), everyone will hear 'beyond.'

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "bee otch" for me is a different sound from "bee yotch". I mostly hear the "bee yotch" pronunciation, from Ebonics speakers. It's just my opinion.

Thanks ewie; I now recall hearing that term. It's the same phenomenon as in saying 'cru'[croo, rhyming with 'boo'] then 'el' in the word 'cruel'. The sound, combined, will have a slight 'w', sounding like croowell.

Dexta, this sounds somewhat analogous to epenthesis, but a kind of mirror image. Epenthesis, I read, is insertion of a vowel, to make a consonant combination more pronounceable. **

http://classweb.gmu.edu/accent/generalizations/gendefinitions/epenthesis/vowelepenthesis.html

Here were have the de facto (quite legitimate) insertion (so to say) of a semi vowel, because of the mechanics of vowel production; the result, in sound, being a 'glide.'

The reason I said, "so to say" is that in the OP's example, the Y was explicitly inserted [semi vowel epenthesis?!), and in perpend's experience, and mine, at times, some speakers do directly say the 'y' sound, for emphasis.

===
    ADDED:
    ** This is not correct, I see. Wiki distinguishes-- Epenthesis may be divided into two types: excrescence, for the addition of a consonant, and anaptyxis.

My apologies, Dexta.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I haven't hear "ebonics" mentioned since the mid-'90s, and I have the impression that it's no longer in use; linguists now use the term African American Vernacular English.

< Previous | Next >