Bezżarzeniowe

surikatka

English - USA
Hi everyone,

I am helping translate some parts of an old Soviet engineering manual as a favor to a student. I know absolutely nothing about engineering. There are some diagrams of different apparatuses and one of them includes the word ¨bezżarzeniowe¨which I can't find on the Internet in any sort of meaningful context. These are really technical specs and the context in which it appears is ¨kenotrony bezżarzeniowe.¨ Now I know that żarzeniowe refers to incandescent lighting, but the ¨bez¨ prefix is throwing me for a loop. If any engineering-savvy Polish speaker has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Proszȩ bardzo!

• rotan

Polish
    Though I would personally hit on the fact that it means the opposite with ease, I agree with Ben Jamin
    I believe technical stuff isn't about guesswork, and all terms should be specified precisely
    Coming up with your own term is an extremity (which still, this case could possibly be)

jasio

1. I agree with the previous speakers: technical text should be translated, or at least consulted, with the people who understand the merit (in the target language). Isolated words used in technical terms can be translated in dozens distinct ways, depending on a specific context - because technical traditions and terminology in different languages developed pretty much independently.
    2. Where is the context? Why didn't you provide us with a whole sentence or even a paragraph, rather than with a single word? Or the specific illustration, to which you referred to in your post? Without it and without a crystal ball, it's really difficult to come up with anything meaningful.
    3. If you translate "an old Soviet manual", why are you looking for help on the Polish forum? As far as I can tell, Soviet manuals were written in Russian - and perhaps translated to other languages, with all the drawbacks resulting from translations. Including improper use of terminology.
    4. As far as I was able to find it, kenotron is a vacuum tube diode - high power or high voltage, depending on the source, so I'm not really sure. Typically the cathode of the tube was heated (directly, ie. the heater element also served as the cathode, or indirectly, ie. with a separate filament) to increase electron emition. However, there were also special cold-cathode designs,without a heater. Without additonal information I can't tell, if this is what was meant. Anyway, you may find some information here: Vacuum tube - Wikipedia
    5. I did even find the phrase "kenotron bezrzażeniowy" in a quite meaningful context, for example here: Kenotron bezżarzeniowy CBK-1 do noktowizora [M1] - 8720770463 - oficjalne archiwum Allegro. This particular component (a vacuum tube rectifier) was a part of a military or a naval night-vision device. But without a context, I can't tell if it applies to your situation.