Beziehung mit / zu

Hausmeister

Banned
Tagalog ni Balagtas
Ich hatte ein Jahr lang eine Beziehung mit ( zu?) meiner Freundin.

Will it change the meaning of the sentence if I use zu ? Danke!

• ger4

German
    You would use zu if you wanted to describe the relationship, for instance: Ich hatte ein Jahr lang eine sehr schlechte Beziehung zu meiner Freundin.

- eine Beziehung mit jemandem haben
    can be translated as 'to date someone'
    - eine ... Beziehung zu jemandem haben is used to describe a relationship with anyone or anything

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Holger.

The "mit" and "zu" would mean different things. I think you want "mit".

Another way to express it: Ich war ein (ganzes*) Jahr mit meiner Freundin zusammen.

*Optional

djweaverbeaver

NYC
    English Atlanta, GA USA
    That explanation sounds a bit odd in my ears. Isn't 'dating' rather 'sich verabreden'? I would suggest 'to have an affair with someone''.

NO, NO, NO!! I'm afraid your understanding of "dating" is incorrect. To date someone means to be in a relationship with someone (ie. to be boyfriend/girlfriend with someone = mit jemandem zusammen sein). Dating can be serious, but it doesn't have to be. Sich mit jemanden verabreden can mean to go (out) on a date with someone, but this German verb isn't limited to romantic rendezvous. Germans also colloquially use ein Date mit jdm haben in this romantic sense; however, Date in German is only limited to this meaning and to designate the person with whom you have the date. Date in English can also be used for non-romantic appointments and engagements in the sense of a general Verabredung or Termin.

An affair can mean any short-lived amorous relationship, but it usually implies a sexual one in which the two people aren't married to each other, and at least one person is cheating on the real partner.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the English language of love...or lust. ;)

Last edited:

Gernot Back

German - Germany
    You would use zu if you wanted to describe the relationship, for instance: Ich hatte ein Jahr lang eine sehr schlechte Beziehung zu meiner Freundin.
    I would never use zu in this context. I would say:
    Ich hatte ein Jahr lang eine sehr schlechte Beziehung mit meinem Freund.
    or
    Die Beziehung zwischen mir und meinem Freund war ein Jahr lang sehr schlecht|nicht so gut.

The only examples Duden gives with zu are with non-amorous relationships (Beziehungen in the plural):
    www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Beziehung#Bedeutung1

Last edited:

djweaverbeaver

NYC
    English Atlanta, GA USA
    I would never use zu in this context. I would say:
    Ich hatte ein Jahr lang eine sehr schlechte Beziehung mit meinem Freund.

The only examples Duden gives with zu are with non-amorous relationships (Beziehungen in the plural):
    www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Beziehung#Bedeutung1

Hi,

Well, I've checked in the Großwörterbuch Deutsch als Fremdsprache, and it indicates what either mit or zu is possible:

2. meist Pl; Beziehungen (mit/zu jemandem/etwas) bestimmte Verbindungen zwischen Personen, Gruppen, Institutionen od. Staaten <verwandtschaftliche, freundschaftliche, wirtschaftliche Beziehungen; mit/zu jemandem Beziehungen aufnehmen, knüpfen, unterhalten; mit/zu jemandem in Beziehung treten; die Beziehungen (zu jemandem) abbrechen>: die diplomatischen Beziehungen zu einem Staat abbrechen; Die besseren internationalen Beziehungen ermöglichen Fortschritte bei der Abrüstung

5. eine Beziehung (mit/zu jemandem) meist sexuelle Kontakte zu jemandem <eine intime, sexuelle Beziehung mit/zu jemandem haben/unterhalten>
    || -K: Zweierbeziehung, Dreiecksbeziehung

This Das Digitale Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache also gives the same two options:

wechselseitiges Verhältnis von Menschen untereinander
    in verwandtschaftlichen, gespannten, nahen, freundschaftlichen, engen, intimen Beziehungen zu jmdm. stehen

er hatte viele Beziehungen zu Frauen

zu jmdm. in (intimen) Beziehungen stehen,
    (intime) Beziehungen zu jmdm. haben, mit jmdm. unterhalten
    (ein Liebesverhältnis mit jmdm. haben )

Gernot Back

German - Germany
    Again, if I talk about someones Beziehung mit jmdm., it is clear that it is an amorous/sexual one.
    On the other hand, I can discuss the kind of someones Beziehung zu jmdm., leaving it open as to whether it might even be a sexual/amorous one.