BIC on a bank statement

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Please provide more context. Is the bank statement in German? If so, I'd be surprised to see an English abbreviation (then again, Anglicisms are rampant, so maybe I wouldn't be that surprised :rolleyes:). I think the German equivalent of bank identification code is Bankleitzahl, which is abbreviated as BLZ.

marget

Please provide more context. Is the bank statement in German? If so, I'd be surprised to see an English abbreviation (then again, Anglicisms are rampant, so maybe I wouldn't be that surprised :rolleyes:). I think the German equivalent of bank identification code is Bankleitzahl, which is abbreviated as BLZ.

The statement is in German. I don't have much more context, other than the expressions above which are Saldo Neu (New balance, I think), Kreditlimit, BIC has next to it GENODEF1HBV and then on the line after BIC is written IBAN followed by DE then 20 digits. I understand the DE;)

Thanks for pointing out BLZ. I needed that too.:)

Piotr_WRF

Polish, German
    I think the German equivalent of bank identification code is Bankleitzahl, which is abbreviated as BLZ.
    Theoretically yes, both mean roughly the same. But BIC or SWIFT code is the international bank identifier while BLZ is the national German one. They aren't identical.

An example:
    The BLZ for the Aachener Bank is 390 601 80, while the BIC is GENODED1AAC.

marget

Theoretically yes, both mean roughly the same. But BIC or SWIFT code is the international bank identifier while BLZ is the national German one. They aren't identical.

An example:
    The BLZ for the Aachener Bank is 390 601 80, while the BIC is GENODED1AAC.
    The BIC on my statement is very similar to the one used by Aachener Bank. So, I guess I can use BIC or SWIFT code for the translation. Thanks.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    So, I guess I can use BIC or SWIFT code for the translation.
    I would go with SWIFT code. I've heard my mother, who's a banker, use that on several occasions (as opposed to BIC, which I've never heard her use), so my guess is that SWIFT is more internationally understood.

< Previous | Next >