bid for /vie for

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

Hundreds of college graduates this year vie for/bid for golf course caddie position

Which one is better between "vie for" and "bid for" and why?

• Ecossaise

English
    "Vie for" is probably better, but they essentially both imply that there is competition for this work

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I would use "vie for" because it more properly expresses the competitive nature of the process. "Bid for" connotes the attempt to gain the position but with hundreds of graduates trying to get a finite number of jobs, it is very competitive and "vie for" emphasizes this fact.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Thanks, I now think 'vie for' emphasizes the fact that the competition is tough, and 'bid for' emphasize the fact that the students make their efforts to gain the position. The two phrases put emphasis on diffierent aspects, right?
    :)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, I now think 'vie for' emphasizes the fact that the competition is tough, and 'bid for' emphasize the fact that the students make their efforts to gain the position. The two phrases put emphasis on diffierent aspects, right?
    :)
    Well, "vie for" doesn't necessarily mean that the competition is tough (although it may be), just that there is competition. Each student is bidding for a position but is vying for a position against other students. If there were only two students bidding for a job, they are still vying against each other for that position.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What do the students do?
    If they are offering something for this position - as in an auction - then bid would be OK.
    If they are applying for the position competitively then vie, or more naturally (to me), compete would be better.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    What do the students do?
    If they are offering something for this position - as in an auction - then bid would be OK.
    If they are applying for the position competitively then vie, or more naturally (to me), compete would be better.

Well, "vie for" doesn't necessarily mean that the competition is tough (although it may be), just that there is competition. Each student is bidding for a position but is vying for a position against other students. If there were only two students bidding for a job, they are still vying against each other for that position.

Thanks~!

< Previous | Next >