bid ... prices 'from' projects .... [on?]

LQZ

Mandarin
“We realized that would enable us to bid competitive power prices from projects that could also be efficiently financed,” Mr. Harris said in an e-mail. ---taken from the NYT

Dear all,

Could you please tell me what "bid...from" means here? Thanks.

LQZ

• JamesM

It would help to have more context. Can you give us the sentence or two before, please?

I would take it to mean that there were some power-generation projects involved somewhere.

LQZ

Mandarin
    It would help to have more context. Can you give us the sentence or two before, please?

I would take it to mean that there were some power-generation projects involved somewhere.
    Yes,thank you, JamesM.

Here is the preceding paragarph.

Arno Harris, chief executive of Recurrent Energy, a San Francisco solar developer acquired by Sharp last month, said he chose to sign a supply deal with Yingli because the Chinese company offered low prices, quality products and financing.

JamesM

I'm sorry. I didn't notice that you had already provided a link to the full article.

Even after reading the article I'm not exactly sure what it means. I think the man is saying that they could build solar energy projects with lower-cost panels from China and Chinese financing that allowed the final cost of the energy produced to be cheaper. As a result, they could have a competitive edge in bidding on such projects.

I'm still not sure why he didn't use "on" instead of "from".

< Previous | Next >