bid / trick

Joca

Brazilian Portuguese
Hi

Can anyone help me with the following sentence? I have to translate it, but I have no further context. It has to do with card games. My question is: what is a trick? In what sense can a trick be high or low? And why must someone bid a trick?

His bid of three tricks was too high. He only won two.

Thanks

JC

• JamesM

"Tricks" appear in many different card games, but the most common one would be Bridge, I would think. It indicates the number of turns of card-playing you will win in the current hand. The person who bids the highest gets to start the game, I believe. Each time the cards are played around the table is a "trick." If he only won two, it means that he was the winner in only two of the turns in that hand.

Bridge is very complicated, and aficianados of the game can be rabidly obsessive about the bidding portion of the game. The bidding is not only a straightforward attempt to win control; in games where partners are involved it is also used to pass information covertly to your partner about the contents of your hand. I've never tackled the game personally beyond an aborted attempt in my twenties.

I suggest you read up on Contract Bridge. Perhaps a Spanish site will give you the equivalent names in Spanish.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hi

Can anyone help me with the following sentence? I have to translate it, but I have no further context. It has to do with card games. My question is: what is a trick? In what sense can a trick be high or low? And why must someone bid a trick?

His bid of three tricks was too high. He only won two.

Thanks

JC
    I think high refers to bid here, and it means that the player bid that he'd win three times but he won two tricks.

Tom

Old Novice

USA, English
    I think high refers to bid here, and it means that the player bid that he'd win three times but he won two tricks.

Tom
    That interpretation is consistent with bridge. For what it's worth, there are 13 "tricks" in hand, each consisting of four cards (4 x 13 = 52 cards in the deck). But the bid refers to the number over the first six that you hope to take. So a bid of three tricks means taking nine of the 13 possible tricks.

languageGuy

USA and English
    JamesM;2418947Bridge is very complicated said:
    As a bridge player, I can tell you that covert passing of information through the bidding process is illegal. You and your partner must agree ahead of time what all your bidding signals mean and share this information with your opponents.

< Previous | Next >