Bien ... al aplaudir

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
Hi everyone,

in Spain we usually shout "¡¡Bien!!" when we applaud after someone has done something cool. What do you say in English??

I have heard "Bravo!!", but I think that's more for a show and I am actually talking about ordinary things, like for instance, when a little kid can eat alone without spilling the food, when your brother wins a race or when you receive an award.

• mal67

US - English
    Very good! or Good job! is what I tell my infant son.

For the winner of a race or when receiving an award, I would probably say Congratulations!, though Good job! or Well done! might also work, depending on the context, relationship, etc.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Yes, but that's what you tell them when you pat their backs... but what I mean is the generic expression when you clap in the distance, i.e. you don't clap and say congratulations when the winner of the race is just passing by quickly, do you??

In movies, I hear people applaud and yell something all the time (it sounds like 'yeah'), but I don't really get what it is.

Rivendell

Spanish / Spain
    Thanks for your replies. Yes, I think "Yeah!" and "Yay!" is what I hear.

Regarding "way to go", what does it mean? Is it something like "that's the way"??

aprendiendo1

USA, English
    Si, significa algo asi. Por ejemplo...

1. When un nino pequenito logra hacer algo (usando la cuchara, caminado sin caer..) lo dices... = ~Asi lo haces!

2. When una amiga saca una buena nota(?) puedes decirlo

3. Realmente for cualquier tipo de exito/logro, funciona bien

Eso es mis dos centavos:)

< Previous | Next >