bien-aller du vêtement

RobertaLynn

US English
Bonjour tout le monde,
I'm looking for a translation for the fashion term bien-aller (du vêtement). I'm not sure whether it refers to how comfortable the clothing is or how well it hangs or falls. The context is a list of criteria for good apparel product develoment.
Thanks a 1,000,000!
RL

• Cecily

French- France
    Bien aller = to fit / to suit

Ce vêtement te va bien : this garment suits you /fits you.

It means that you look good in it both because it suits you and because it fits you.

Topsie

English-UK
    In French if someone says "ça te va bien", generally they mean "it suits you".
    If someone says "ça ne me va pas", you don't know if they mean "it doesn't fit me" (ce n'est pas la bonne taille) or "it doesn't suit me" (ça ne me met pas en valeur)!

RobertaLynn

US English
    Thank you Cecily and Topsie, but this is a more specific usage in the fashion business. "Le bien-aller du vêtement" is one of the things examined and discussed, that must be approved before a garment is launched into production. So, my question is: is this "fit"?
    Thanks again!
    RL

Topsie

English-UK
    Perhaps it's better to use "fit" as a noun rather than a verb - "the fit of the garment(?)" - alternatively I think I've heard the expression "hang" (n or v) - as in "it hangs well"

Merle

English
    I just came across this in a text too, and asked a more experienced FR - ANG fashion translator.

"Bien aller" refers to both the way a garment fits as well as it's placement/position on the body...which are not necessarily the same thing.

xanderfogg

French born and raised - German mother
    Hi everybody!
    I know the question has been asked 4 years ago, but I might have an answer ;p
    I was actually just wondering how to translate it also, doing currently my internship in fashion.
    And I eventually realized that it appears in the vocabulary leaflet my boss gave me at the beginning.
    They translate it by "Well-fitting"!

< Previous | Next >