bienvenido, bienvenida

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by dave 12345678, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dave 12345678 Member

English
    Please let me know if this is correct:

If a man comes into man’s house, I presume that the man [ house owner ] would say: “bienvenidO”.

If a woman comes into man’s house, I presume that the man [ house owner ] would say: “bienvenidA”.

If a man comes into woman’s house, I presume that the woman [ house owner ] would say: “bienvenidO”.

If a woman comes into woman’s house, I presume that the woman [ house owner ] would say: “bienvenidA”

I am presuming that the bienvenido/a/os/as refers to the people being spoken to, and not the gender of the person doing the speaking.

Tks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  2. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    You are so right :thumbsup:

3. fruttidimare New Member

Maastricht
    Nederlands
    ¡De acuerdo tambíen!

4. ACQM

ACQM Senior Member

Manresa (Barcelona)
    Spain - Spanish
    It is short for "Tú eres bienvenido/a en mi casa" or "Sé bienvenido/a a mi casa" so the important for male/female and singular/plural is not the speaker but the one getting in the house.

5. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    Since we are at it:
    ¡Bienvenidos! would be correct if the visitors are more than one and are all men or a men and women mix.
    ¡Bienvenidas! would be correct if the visitors are more than one and are all women.

Usually you'd write it between exclamation marks, just like I did.

A final warning: "Bienvenida" is also a noun.
    You could say "Te doy la bienvenida" (for one visitor) or "Les/os doy la bienvenida" (for more than one visitor), and it's always like this regardless of the gender of the visitor(s).