Big boards used for advertisements (located in streets)

< Previous | Next >

EnLearner

Spanish
Hello

Are there any special words we can use for those big boards used for advertisements?

Thanks

• ribran

English - American
    Do you have any pictures? :)

Do you mean billboards? Usually, those are found on busy roads, not on city streets, but in large cities, buildings are sometimes used as advertising space.

Last edited:

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    My understanding of "hoardings" is that they are the advertising boards that one would see around a football pitch (for example), which are much smaller than road-side billboards. That said, it's possible "hoarding" is used instead of billboard in British English and I am unaware of it. (The Australian English for this type of thing is "billboard".)

Edited to add: Hmm. A bit of a Google search has convinced me that it is true: "hoardings" does mean "billboard" in BrE. Well, there you go!

heypresto

English - England
    In the UK we call the big ones 'hoardings'. I don't think we use 'billboards' at all. And the football pitch adverts are, I'm pretty sure, simply referred to as 'adverts'.

Of course, there may be regional variations to any of these. In fact it's highly likely. :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Hi Enlearner, Usually the big boards used for advertisements are known as Message boards, advertisement boards or billboards.
    I wonder whether what I know as 'notice board' is the same as 'message board'.

I think of hoardings as a kind of tall wooden fencing put around a work area, which may or may not contain advertisements.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    And the football pitch adverts are, I'm pretty sure, simply referred to as 'adverts'.
    Interesting! We have, it would seems, changed the meaning of "hoardings" hereabouts.

Edited to add: I just did a quick search to find out if it was just a personal quirk. We definitely call the signs around football fields/cricket pitches "hoardings". Another use I'd forgotten was the unsightly wooden temporary walls around construction sites. Most of the Australian pages about "hoardings" were referring to them.

Copyright

American English
    I think of hoardings as a kind of tall wooden fencing put around a work area, which may or may not contain advertisements.
    That's exactly what they are in British English-speaking Hong Kong, as well.

In local layman conversation, these things are billboards, even if they're on small streets. In advertising language, they're out-of-home displays (OOH) but I've never heard a normal person call them that. :)

< Previous | Next >