Big dinner vs. hearty dinner

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
He and his wife are very generous and hospitable. Everytime he invites me for a dinner, they always prepares a "big dinner" or "hearty dinner".

Are they both correct if I mean a dinner with a lot of food? If so, which one is more common in colloquial AmE? Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    They have different meanings. "Big dinner" simply says there is a lot of food: it is the normal meaning of "big". In your example, it shows that your hosts are generous.

"Hearty" has more nuances (enhanced meanings). The word brings to our minds images from English history: heavy tables full of roasted meats, lots of beer drinking, loud boisterous behavior. We also speak of "hearty foods" like roasted meats and baked potatoes. Not salads, not quinoa. There is no such thing as a vegetarian "hearty dinner".

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    They have different meanings. "Big dinner" simply says there is a lot of food: it is the normal meaning of "big". In your example, it shows that your hosts are generous.

"Hearty" has more nuances (enhanced meanings). The word brings to our minds images from English history: heavy tables full of roasted meats, lots of beer drinking, loud boisterous behavior. We also speak of "hearty foods" like roasted meats and baked potatoes. Not salads, not quinoa. There is no such thing as a vegetarian "hearty dinner".
    Thank you all.
    If someone invites me to have a dinner with a lot of food, which thank is better, "Thank you for your 'big' or 'hearty' dinner".?

< Previous | Next >