1. Carlospalmar Senior Member

Spanish, Argentina
    Hello everyone:

Could somebody help me find the Spanish translation for the Big Dipper (the stars in the northern hesmisphere).

Thank you

C.

2. fuzzzylogix

fuzzzylogix Senior Member

madrid
    aspacameur/english 1st, spanish 2nd
    Ursa mayor...

3. MajestyDarkness

MajestyDarkness Senior Member

México
    México, Español
    dipper ['dɪpəʳ] nombre cazo
    Astrol US Big Dipper, la Osa Mayor

4. Carlospalmar Senior Member

Spanish, Argentina
    Gracias por la ayuda.
    Saludos
    C.

5. Reynaldo Rochin New Member

spanish
    Back on time, during the seventies, Jethro Tull released a song called "Too old to rock and roll, too young to die..." and that used to be a nick for ray lomas, the most important person on that L. P. But, what it really means is
    Osa Mayor, as far as I do concern...

6. wizardswriter New Member

English - United States of America
    But the Big Dipper is an asterism -- a smaller part of a constellation (Ursa Major, in this case) that has its own name/identity, not the constellation itself. Is there no term in Spanish for the subgroup of stars in la Osa Mayor which English-speakers call "the Big Dipper"?

7. Traduim Member

Spain - Spanish and Catalan
    I might get wrong, but I think the Big Dipper is called "el Carro Mayor" in Spanish.

In Spanish, "el Carro Mayor" are 7 stars from Ursa Major than look like a small saucepan, as if to say.

8. tcosban New Member

English
    To clarify, the "big dipper" is not the same as Ursa Major/Ursa Mayor/Osa Mayor... Ursa Major (also known as the Great Bear) is a larger constellation that CONTAINS the 7 stars that make up the Big Dipper. The Great Bear comes from the Greek/Roman constellation system. The Big Dipper, however, is more common in North American Folklore. The two concepts are totally unrelated.

So saying "The Big Dipper" = Ursa Mayor is like telling someone who ask how you say "arm" in Spanish to just say "cuerpo" (body).

I came here searching for the answer to this questions but unfortunately I am still unsure. If you want to tell the story of the Big Dipper, it is important that it still be described as a spoon. So calling it a Giant Bear as people have suggested would be confusing. Whenever I tell the story, I am just going to say Cuchara Grande, which although potentially incorrect will certainly be more in the realm of what I would like to convey.

Reference for those who seek further clarification: laeff.inta.es/users/bmm/weblog/starmap-large.gif
    As you can see Ursa Mayor is NOT the same as the big dipper.