Big Mac and Little Dipper

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by nzaballa, Nov 6, 2016.

1. nzaballa

nzaballa Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Hello everybody

I'm translating a book from the "Big Mac and Little Dipper" series for children and I was wondering how to translate this name:
    "Little Dipper" is a young female puppy and I found several definitions for the word «dipper» including a type of saucepan, a type of scoop and a type of bird. Do you have any idea which of those might the authour have thought of at the time of naming this character?

Thank you all in advance

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    The Little Dipper is a constellation known as Ursa Minor. A Big Mac is a hamburger at Macdonald's. The first is already translated in our dictionary, and the second has no translation.

3. nzaballa

nzaballa Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you very much!

4. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Desde el hemisferio austral no vemos ni la Osa Mayor ni la Osa Menor, así que no estoy seguro de lo que voy a decir. Si al "Big Dipper" (conjunto de estrellas de la Osa Mayor) se la conoce en español como "El Cazo/Carro (Mayor)", no veo por qué al "Little Dipper" (conjunto estrellas de la Osa Menor) no se la puede llamar "El Cazo/Carro Menor". Sólo una opinión.

5. nelliot53

nelliot53 Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
    Acá las conocemos como las constelaciones de 'La Cacerola Grande' y 'La Cacerola Pequeña' (Cacerola= saucepan).

6. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Me parecen buenos nombres. El de "cazo" lo saqué de Wikipedia...