big percentage

zhonglin

Mandarin
Hi,

I think I need some advice here as I'm not sure if I'm using the word percentage correctly, please see my below context;

"a big percentage of country's budget goes to security"

Please also let me know if this sentence sounds weird. Thank you in advance.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, zhonglin.

"Percentage" in your sentence looks fine. Google's Ngram Viewer tells me that "large" is far more common than "big": big percentage/large percentage

I think you should follow the majority and use "large percentage". You should add an article before "country's" in your sentence. If you are writing about one particular country, use "the". If you mean "every country", you can use "a": A large percentage of the/a country's budget goes to security."

zhonglin

Mandarin
    Hi, zhonglin.

"Percentage" in your sentence looks fine. Google's Ngram Viewer tells me that "large" is far more common than "big": big percentage/large percentage

I think you should follow the majority and use "large percentage". You should add an article before "country's" in your sentence. If you are writing about one particular country, use "the". If you mean "every country", you can use "a": A large percentage of the/a country's budget goes to security."
    thank you for your help

<-----Additional question deleted.----->

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >