big tax cuts for the rich

< Previous | Next >

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
Hi,

How does "big tax cuts for the rich" can relate to the other part of the sentence? Does it mean Republicans in the Congress wanted this tax cut and now Trump would do that?

“Many were surely disgusted by his outrageous behavior, including his treatment of women. Yet when it came down to it, the R next to his name was more important than anything else. Maybe this was about the Supreme Court, or the assumption that he would end up rubber-stamping the congressional GOP’s agenda, especially big tax cuts for the rich.”

Ps:In the first sentence, "many" means, many republican voters who voted for trump.
Source: Hillary Rodham Clinton. “What Happened.”

• grassy

Polish
    I read it as saying that Republicans turned a blind eye to his outrageous behaviour, hoping he would support their reforms, such as tax cuts for the rich.

RORSCHACH

Farsi-persian
    But I think it would be not be right, as in the part "he would end up rubber-stamping the congressional GOP’s agenda", the author means Trump would end up following the steps of Republicans in Congress.
    Could you explain more?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    the author means Trump would end up following the steps of Republicans in Congress.
    Yes, this is what she means. The Republicans are thought to favor tax cuts for the rich, and Hilary Clinton is saying that they wanted a president who would agree with any laws they passed to accomplish that.

I don't know whether that answers your question.
    Perhaps you need to know how the US government works. If that is the case, please follow this link: How a bill becomes a law.
    There are many websites that explain this. You can pick the one that seems clearest to you.

< Previous | Next >