big trouble comes small

LQZ

Mandarin
They were apparently scattered by animals and while most of her body was recovered, the autopsy says small bones from her wrists, hands, fingers and ankles were missing.

Also found with the remains were glittery pink letters made of cloth that spell out the phrase "Big Trouble Comes Small." The letters appear to be the remains of a shirt.
Dear friends, the above is taken from cbsnews about a homicide of a toddler. Now I am trying to understand what the big trouble comes small means.

1 Reduce big troubles to minor ones and ninor ones to nothing.
2 Small measure can solve big trouble.
3 Address minor issues can be helpful to solve big trouble.

Which understanding is correct? Thanks.

LQZ

• abenr

English, USA
    Dear friends, the above is taken from cbsnews about a homicide of a toddler. Now I am trying to understand what the big trouble comes small means.

1 Reduce big troubles to minor ones and ninor ones to nothing.
    2 Small measure can solve big trouble.
    3 Address minor issues can be helpful to solve big trouble.

Which understanding is correct? Thanks.

LQZ
    It probably means small children cause big worries, something any parent would agree with. It's terribly ironic under these circumstances.

Yours,
    Abenr

se16teddy

English - England
    Yes, you can say jocularly and idiomatically of a child 'Here comes trouble', meaning 'Here comes someone who causes problems', but always implying that resolving such problems is a duty that adults surrounding the child undertake willingly and joyfully - which is not applicable/possible in this case. Accordingly, 'big trouble comes small' means something like 'Here is a small person who causes lots of problems, but whom we love anyway'.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I think the phrase on the t-shirt is "Big trouble comes in small packages." I think the t-shirt was damaged and the "in" on the right side and "packages" on the bottom were missing from the t-shirt.
    That does sound likely. There are very few google instances of "Big trouble comes small", and all of them relate to this case.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Guys, I am still thinking the expression "Big trouble comes small", I wonder if without the context, may I reword it like this?

Big trouble becomes small.

Thanks.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    There is a familiar saying in English that "good things come in small packages". It really means that size or appearance and value are not always related, although it can be understood very literally: a diamond ring will come in a much smaller package than a package that is full of two tons of straw. Here, the familiar old saying has been changed as a joke: A baby is a "small package", but a baby is not only a "good thing" -- a baby is also "big trouble."

abenr

English, USA
    Guys, I am still thinking the expression "Big trouble comes small", I wonder if without the context, may I reword it like this?

Big trouble becomes small.

Thanks.
    I'm afraid that's not what the phrase means. "Big trouble comes small" means little without its context, but the "comes" in the phrase definitely does not mean "becomes." It's easy, however, to understand why you might think so.

Cheers,
    Abenr

< Previous | Next >