Bigot as a verb?

< Previous | Next >

Leandro

Brazil - Portuguese
Hi, guys

I cannot understand this sentence " Language bigots everywhere, beware!" I don't know, but it looks like "bigot" here is a verb (3rd person - "language"). The problem is no English dictionary defines it as a verb. On google there are some results of people really using it as a verb. Well, could anyone explain that sentence to me in other words?

To give you a little bit of context, the text is about programming languages:

" So it’s our responsibility to make the language look simple! Language bigots everywhere, beware! It is not the language that makes programs appear simple. It is the programmer that make the language appear simple!"

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Leandro

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Greetings Leandro,

It is used as a noun here. Language, another noun, is used attributively. That means that it is a noun acting as an adjective. Here are a few more examples of that in English:

Fire truck - This takes the noun fire, and uses it adjectivally to modify another noun, truck. Just as a fire truck is a type of truck, language bigots are a particular class of bigots.

Dog house - a house for a dog.
    Coffee cup - a cup used to drink coffee

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Thanks, Cuchuflete. But what would be "language bigots" (bigots of language, right?)
    Yes. If you just say "bigots", people will probably assume you mean racists or some more standard type of bigot. In this context, I think "language bigots" are people who have a prejudice against a particular computer language.

< Previous | Next >