bikini top

sobhan

PERSIAN
Thinking his helping of food was scanty, Oliver Twist asked for more. A scanty bikini top may be all right for the beach, but not for the office.
Is bikini top different from bikini?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Where did you see this sobhan?

You should name the source of any quotation and tell us something about what is being discussed.

sobhan

PERSIAN
    Where did you see this sobhan?

You should name the source of any quotation and tell us something about what is being discussed.
    Ive seen it in SAT essential words. actully I have no more information about that and the reason is that its vocabulary building book and only provides a small passage.

Language Hound

American English
    They are the two sample sentences given after two definitions of "scanty" here.
    Sobhan, please use quotation marks to set off your quotes from your own words/question.
    To answer your question, a bikini has two parts: the top and the bottom. A "bikini top" is the top part.

EDITED TO ADD image of a bikini (top and bottom): Image not pasting.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    A bikini has two parts and in BrE you would never refer to just one part without saying "top" or "bottom(s)". I am not sure this applies in AmE as there is a song (California Gurls by Katy Perry) which includes the lyric
    California girls
    We're unforgettable
    Daisy dukes
    Bikinis on top​
    where "bikinis" clearly refers only to the top parts.

sobhan

PERSIAN
    Sobhan, please use quotation marks to set off your quotes from your own words/question.
    To answer your question, a bikini has two parts: the top and the bottom. A "bikini top" is the top part.

The reason why I refused to mention the first one was its irrelevancy to here. Ok.

sobhan

PERSIAN

You mean here it refers to bra?

Language Hound

American English
    The reason why I refused to mention the first one was its irrelevancy to here. Ok.
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly or what "the first one" refers to.
    Because you did not mention in your original post that your two sentences were from a dictionary-like entry and
    because of the way you wrote them (without quotation marks, without scanty in italics, and with one sentence following the other),
    I found myself scratching my head, wondering what a bikini top had to do with Oliver Twist!

Last edited:

sobhan

PERSIAN
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly or what "the first one" refers to.
    Because you did not mention in your original post that your two sentences were from a dictionary-like entry and
    because of the way you wrote them (without quotation marks and one sentence following the other), I found myself
    scratching my head, wondering what a bikini top had to do with Oliver Twist!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I cant stop myself from laughing. Maybe, Oliver Twist was fan of bikinis! who knows! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The words "bikini top" and "bikini" (bathing suit) did not exist until around 1950. The novel "Oliver Twist" was written in 1838, more than 100 years earlier.

Language Hound

American English
    The reason why I refused to mention the first one was its irrelevancy to here...
    I just figured out that by "the first one" you probably meant "the first sentence.":idea:
    Why mention it then, especially when your question is about bikini top:confused:

@Myridon: I understand what the two sentences mean. I just didn't understand what each sentence had to do with the other until I found the source
    and saw how they were presented there.
    The words "bikini top" and "bikini" (bathing suit) did not exist until around 1950. The novel "Oliver Twist" was written in 1838, more than 100 years earlier.
    Right. Which is why I couldn't understand why one sentence would follow the other.

< Previous | Next >