bill / pamphlet

< Previous | Next >

pari

THAI,THAILAND
When we hand out a pamphlet of infomation in the street.
Do we call it 'info bill' ? or just 'hand out' or just 'pamphlet'?

• FRENFR

English
    A pamflet is something which has alot of information. It has a sense of a lot of pages.

A leaflet is a snigle piece of paper with information on it which can be distributed in numbers (alot of them).

A flyer is a leaflet, but it indicates that it goes into people's homes, through their letterbox. The other 2 do not.

An info bill = I have never heard of this. Maybe it's American.

french4beth

US-English
    Never heard of "info bill".

As Frenfr mentioned, a 'pamphlet' is a booklet, so 'flyer', 'leaflet' or possibly 'handbill' would be correct in this context.

pari

THAI,THAILAND
    Thanks Frenfr, just wonder is there any other verbs that will go with them besides 'hand them out' or 'distribute them'?

pari

THAI,THAILAND
    Is it possible to write 'pamflet' and 'pamphlet'? I don't know this ,may be a lot of words with 'ph' have been replaced by 'f'. Any other examples please?

french4beth

US-English
    pari said:
    Is it possible to write 'pamflet' and 'pamphlet'? I don't know this ,may be a lot of words with 'ph' have been replaced by 'f'. Any other examples please?
    No, the correct spelling is 'pamphlet'.

You can also "pass out" pamphlets & flyers.

I can't think of any examples where 'f' has replaced 'ph'.

One example of the opposite occurring - the neologism 'phreak' (from the words 'phone' + 'freak'). This refers to someone who illegally uses the phone system to make free long distance calls, kind of like a computer hacker illegally uses the Internet to wreak havoc.

< Previous | Next >