billboard, sign, advertisement

< Previous | Next >
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    If it's on the premises of a business, as this one appears to be, it's a sign. A billboard is much larger, and is usually not located on the premises of a business (though it could be). The word "advertisement" usually refers to something in another medium such as a newspaper, a magazine, a Web page, a television show, or somewhere else, though billboards and some signs are also forms of advertising.

This is a billboard:

EdisonBhola

Korean
    If it's on the premises of a business, as this one appears to be, it's a sign. A billboard is much larger, and is usually not located on the premises of a business (though it could be). The word "advertisement" usually refers to something in another medium such as a newspaper, a magazine, a Web page, a television show, or somewhere else, though billboards and some signs are also forms of advertising.

This is a billboard:

Many thanks!

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I'm not as sure as Egmont is about his first sentence. But I totally agree with the rest.

Billboards are (as the name suggests) usually wooden boards on which paper bills (= posters) are glued. The Wendy's photo in #1 seems to have movable letters, and for that reason I'd call it a sign.

< Previous | Next >