billion with ab ??

4faces

Korea
Pls, help me with this odd looking expression -- billion with ab.

I did some googling and found lots of sentences with the expression.
  • The price tag for the war in Iraq just went up another 82 billion with aB dollars.
  • And it’s a huge and powerful monster—one that got us to buy $30.6 billion worth of toys in 2002. That’s billion, with a b.
  • It depends how you count but today there are roughly four billion (yes that's billion with aB) pages on the web.
Is this like saying, "I'm talking about billions of something, not millions...", in other words to emphasize the sheer size or amount of something?

One more thing, how do you pronounce it?

Thanks in advance.

4faces.. ^^

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hi 4faces;
    Here we would say..that it is a 'Billion with a capital B'..
    So they are just saying that it is a Billion dollars..and that is a lot of money..so you are correct..it is a way to put emphasis on the fact that it is a Billion..
    said as: b i l y o n..

tg;)
    4faces said:
    Pls, help me with this odd looking expression -- billion with ab.

I did some googling and found lots of sentences with the expression.
    • The price tag for the war in Iraq just went up another 82 billion with aB dollars.
    • And it’s a huge and powerful monster—one that got us to buy $30.6 billion worth of toys in 2002. That’s billion, with a b.
    • It depends how you count but today there are roughly four billion (yes that's billion with aB) pages on the web.
    Is this like saying, "I'm talking about billions of something, not millions...", in other words to emphasize the sheer size or amount of something?

One more thing, how do you pronounce it?

Thanks in advance.

4faces.. ^^

mnzrob

Chicago English and German
    4faces said:
    Exactly, it's clarifying that you're talking about a billion, and not a million. A billion with a B, not a million (with an M).

Rob

Kelly B

USA English
    In US usage, 82,000,000,000 is a billion, while 82,000,000 is a million.
    "Billion with a b" implies that you should be very surprised by this enormous amount (or at least, that the author is surprised.)
    Pronounced "bill-yon"

4faces

Korea
    Thanks to all. ^^

Regarding the pronunciation question, what I'd like to know was how to say "with ab" -- is it just "with a b[bi]"?

Again, thanks.

4faces.. ^^

< Previous | Next >