bingo caller

prof d'anglais

Bingo is far more popular and prevalent in the UK than in France. In France one can play Loto, in a Salle de Fête, once or twice a month, whereas in the UK, four to six hours, every night of the week. For this reason, I'm not sure whether we have a word in French for the person who stands on stage, calling each number. In English he's the 'Caller' or perhaps 'Session Caller' (as opposed to the Prize Bingo Caller). Somehow 'appelant' doesn't seem quite appropriate. Any ideas, please?

• Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Hello prof d'anglais,

I'm afraid you'd have to use a periphrase such as « annonceur de numéros » or « tireur de numéros ».

Edit : Just found out that there are several ideas in Termium

There's « meneur de jeu »... in line with moustic's suggestion. But I kind of like « crieur de numéros ».
    And in context, I guess that crieur by itself would be understood. :)

Last edited:

prof d'anglais

Thank you moustic and Nicomon – however jeu is more of a generic term for all or any game. How would animateur du Lotto stand, along with your suggestions Nicomon? Of the three suggestions, which would you choose as the most appropriate?

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Hello,

You may not have seen my recent edit with a link to Termium. I personally think that crieur is quite appropriate.

If you don't like it, then : meneur de bingo. But that would be in a Canadian context. In France, perhaps meneur du lotto would be more appropriate. ;)

I'm not sure that I like animateur in that context.

Last edited:

franc 91

English - GB
    In les petites annonces for this career option, they are asking for un animateur loto (les jambes de Brigitte, anyone?)

prof d'anglais

Thanks franc... Your post leads to another query... I don't imagine the rhyming UK bingo isn't the same as French... for example is "jambes de Brigitte" the equivalent of "legs eleven"?

franc 91

English - GB
    When you shout 'house' in French it's 'Quine' which is also another name for this game - you'll find what you're looking for on the fr.wikipedia page about Quine(jeu)
    and yes les jambes de Brigitte is eleven though some are more enclined to use those of Mistinguette.

Last edited:

prof d'anglais

Alors... tout les deux les unes, numéro onze... les jambes de Brigitte... (both the ones... legs eleven)... does this elicit the same wolf whistle in France?

No, no, no!!!

I love the fr.wikipedia list... inevitably weighted heavily on religious references

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >