Bingo!/Jackpot! (BrE/AmE)

Fede_rika

Italian - Italy
Hello!
I am writing a critical essay for my English class about the language in comics.
I am analysing some pages from Doctor Who comics and I would like to ask you a question about a sentence I found.

The Doctor says: "Bingo...er, Jackpot!". He is talking to an American character, so I assumed he corrects himself because "bingo" is a typical British English exclamation, while "jackpot" is its American English equivalent, but I am not sure about that. Could any native speaker confirm my theory?

Thank you very much!

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    "Bingo!" is extremely common in AmE. In contrast, "Jackpot!" isn't used as an exclamation this way, at least not as far as I know. We might say "I hit the jackpot," but I've never heard anyone just say "Jackpot!" I'm not saying no one does, but even if they do, it isn't nearly as common as "Bingo!"

Chez

English English
    I agree with all the previous comments. I wonder if the Doctor changed his word for comedic effect – if he had just won/found some money, perhaps 'Jackpot' seemed like a more appropriate word. 'Bingo!' can refer to any cry of success (you've managed to open a stuck door, or you find the shoe you had lost). Of course, you do also win money in the game of Bingo, but perhaps it just seemed the better word. I can't tell with no idea of the exact context, of course.

Fede_rika

Italian - Italy
    Hmm... so there isn't any real difference, right? I just can't figure out the reason why the author would make him change that single word.

@Chez : No, the other character made a guess and she was right, so he said the bingo/jackpot sentence.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hello!
    I am writing a critical essay for my English class about the language in comics.
    I am analysing some pages from Doctor Who comics and I would like to ask you a question about a sentence I found.

The Doctor says: "Bingo...er, Jackpot!". He is talking to an American character, so I assumed he corrects himself because "bingo" is a typical British English exclamation, while "jackpot" is its American English equivalent, but I am not sure about that. Could any native speaker confirm my theory?

Thank you very much!
    Whether or not jackpot is more AE and Bingo more BE, the scene makes the Docotor seem to believe that it is the case.

< Previous | Next >