bingo wings

mr-terence

english
Moderator note: Threads on the same expression merged.

I wonder is there any French equivalent for this nowadays fairly widely used English expression?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    HELLO

It may be a widely used expression to you, but, I, for one, have never heard it.

Do you think you could provide some context, or, at the very least, explain what it means?

KrisJack

Scotland, English
    "Bingo wings is a slang term used to describe the build-up of fat and or flaccid muscle that hangs from the underside of the upper arms." - Wiki

It's often associated with old, fat ladies often found frequenting Bingo Halls...

As for the French version...I don't have a clue!

mr-terence

english
    indeed i can. it is, i believe, an expression used to describe the large, loose flaps of flesh and muscle tissue which hang beneath the upper arm of a woman who is wearing a short-sleeved blouse, shirt or garment, possibly while she is leaning an elbow on a table.

the lack of muscle tone (and possible degree of obesity) involved in this particular physical trait is said to be particularly encouraged by, or characteristic of, a sedentary existence, for example one in which a lot of bingo is played, with elbows leaning on a table. hence "bingo".

the "wings" bit comes from the resemblance of this physical trait to e.g. a chicken wing when plucked and ready for cooking.

i hear the expression a lot. perhaps it's to some extent regional, but i suspect it crosses UK geographical boundaries.

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    "Bingo wings is a slang term used to describe the build-up of fat and or flaccid muscle that hangs from the underside of the upper arms." - Wiki

It's often associated with old, fat ladies often found frequenting Bingo Halls...

As for the French version...I don't have a clue!
    Great explanation, thank you KrisJack. :)

Unfortunately, like you, I would have no idea how to translate that into French terms; hopefully some of the native speakers do! :p

lldn

French & English UK
    How would you translate "bingo wings" in French in the shortest and most accurate way? (It refers to the loose muscle or fat hanging from the upper arms.)

Comment traduiriez-vous l'expression anglaise "bingo wings"? (Elle désigne la masse flasque de chair ou muscle en dessous des bras.)

dewsy

England, english
    Welcome to the forum :)

There really isn't the same bingo culture here (for our French friends, they are so named because of the flapping of underarm flab when you raise your arm to call out "BINGO").

I have a friend who refers to them as her "couilles d'aisselles", but she is the only one I have ever heard call them this :D

RivaJean1994

English - America
    My host family here in France used the words FROMAGE BLANC today....does that ring a bell for anyone? I, too, would like to know the French word used for Bingo arms, granny wave, bat wings, etc. I don't want to add FROMAGE BLANC (in this context) to my vocabulary until I get some confirmation. Merci!

< Previous | Next >