Biography: a Finnish film critic

Verra

Belarusian
Hey everybody,

I'm translating a short autobiography into English.

Is it Ok to write that 'John Doe is a Finnish film critic, culturologist and astronaut'? That is the way the Russian text goes, but somehow I feel that it looks inadequate in English.

Thanx in advance!

Last edited:
  • sdgraham

USA English
    We are all critics of TV, film, food and beauty in our own way, but we don't claim it in an auto-biography unless we get paid for it.

I believe in what I can verify and in this case, nothing on the Internet leaps out.

... or is this all fiction and you didn't tell us?

Ernest Hemingway, first a journalist and then a famous American novelist had this advice for budding reporters:

"Develop a built-in bullshit detector."

Verra

Belarusian
    We are all critics of TV, film, food and beauty in our own way, but we don't claim it in an auto-biography unless we get paid for it.

I believe in what I can verify and in this case, nothing on the Internet leaps out.

... or is this all fiction and you didn't tell us?

Ernest Hemingway, first a journalist and then a famous American novelist had this advice for budding reporters:

"Develop a built-in bullshit detector."
    I see what you mean. Yes, you are write, it is just partially true for this person is neither a Finnish nor an astronaut. The rest is true:)

Are there any other words to name a person who analyzes cinema at a professional level and is mostly paid for it?

Myridon

English - US
    Don't you believe in the film criticism tradition of Finnish origin? :)
    I believe in the criticism of Finnish films. ;) I think most people would interpret it as "John Doe is Finnish, a film critic, ..." but it's actually quite ambiguous.

< Previous | Next >