Biological vs begetting mother

Samura

Hindi
I was reading a book where I saw a word which is "Begetting mother.

Does it mean Biological mother who gave us birth?

Have a good day to all of you !

• Samura

Hindi
    The importance of the worship of Venus-Aphrodite was increased by the political ambitions of the gens Iulia, the clan of Julius Caesar and, by adoption, of Augustus. They claimed descent from Iulus, the son of Aeneas; Aeneas was the alleged founder of the temple of Eryx and, in some legends, of the city of Rome also. [ .....]. Julius Caesar’s own temple (46 BCE), however, was dedicated to Venus Genetrix, and as Genetrix (“Begetting Mother”) she was best known until the death of Nero in 68 CE. Despite the extinction of the Julio-Claudian line, she remained popular, even with the emperors; Hadrian completed a temple of Venus at Rome in 135 CE.

[Quoted text (from Encyclopedia Britannica article 'Venus: Roman Goddess') reduced to maximum permitted length. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the context, Samura. Yes, begetting mother means the same thing as biological mother. Begetting mother is an unusual way to express the idea. It might have been used in that passage because it is somebody's translation of the word Genetrix.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    What you have read is a literal translation of the Latin word "genetrix." While it can be rendered as "begtting mother", it can also be understood as "ancestress", or even as "female founder of the family or clan." It is not appropriate to think of this as meaning anything like "biological mother."

Samura

Hindi
    Thanks for the context, Samura. Yes, begetting mother means the same thing as biological mother. Begetting mother is an unusual way to express the idea. It might have been used in that passage because it is somebody's translation of the word Genetrix.
    I was also thinking that that was antiqued word.
    ;)
    What you have read is a literal translation of the Latin word "genetrix." While it can be rendered as "begtting mother", it can also be understood as "ancestress", or even as "female founder of the family or clan." It is not appropriate to think of this as meaning anything like "biological mother."
    Green, I think it is better to say "birth mother' or "biological mother".
    Anyway, I have great day!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I was also thinking that that was antiqued word.
    It is. Various versions of the Bible prior to the 20th century are famous for the number of times "begat" (simple past). But it was even antiquated in those days.

Samura

Hindi
    Pa
    It is. Various versions of the Bible prior to the 20th century are famous for the number of times "begat" (simple past). But it was even antiquated in those days.
    PaulQ, Thank you so much to you to get me to turn away from an antiqued word.

You are very mistaken. As a translation of the Latin-language title for the family goddess of the Julian clan, it is not correct to translate "Venus Genetrix" as "Venus biological mother."
    Green I meant to synonyms .

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I don't know what you mean when you speak of "synonyms" in English for a word that is not English. What you want is not a "synonym", but a translation -- and "biological mother" is an incorrect translation into English of this Latin word when it is used as a title for Venus.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I don't know what you mean when you speak of "synonyms" in English for a word that is not English. What you want is not a "synonym", but a translation -- and "biological mother" is an incorrect translation into English of this Latin word when it is used as a title for Venus.
    The Julio-Claudians worshiped Venus as Venus Genetrix because the Julian (i.e. pertaining to Iulus) clan claimed Venus as their ancestor (or ancestress) from back in the time preceding the Trojan War. (Aphrodite/Venus + Anchises = Aeneas; Aeneas + Creusa = Iulus aka Ascanius.
    Because it's an epithet and not an ordinary word, I would translate Venus Genetrix as Mother Venus (if I translated it at all) without getting into the biological aspect of her motherhood.

< Previous | Next >