birth certificate number

< Previous | Next >

AliBadass

persian
Everybody has a birth certificate and that certificate has a number on it. Now, what do you call that number? I mean how would you write it on some cards?

Would you write/ ask it as ID number? OR what?

• Andygc

British English
    Everybody has a birth certificate and that certificate has a number on it.
    1. No they don't.
    2. Even if some of them do, they don't necessarily have a number on it.
    Don't assume that what is normal in your country is normal in others.
    If somebody asks me what I call the number on an Iranian birth certificate, I suppose I would say "birth certificate number".

AliBadass

persian
    Okay. Thank you. What is written in your birth certificate? What is ID number?

ps: And sorry that I assumed wrongly.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    Okay. Thank you. What is written in your birth certificate? What is ID number?
    Name, date of birth, place of birth, parents' names - that sort of thing. We don't have ID numbers - but those are not matters of language and the meaning of words. If the number on an Iranian birth certificate is also used as the number on an identity card you could also call it an "ID number".

loghrat

British English / Danish
    I would assume an 'ID number' would refer to the number on an official ID card issued by the government (which I believe is standard in many countries, though not in Australia).

For a birth certificate, I agree with Andygc's simple suggestion 'birth certificate number'; just as we refer to the number on a passport as 'passport number'.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    When asking for the number on a birth certificate, I would say, "What is the [serial] number of/on your birth certificate?" This, of course, presumes that the birth certificate does have a number.

If I were writing an official form that would be completed by many nationalities, I might say, "If your birth certificate has a serial number, please enter it here __________"

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We have numbers on our birth certificates here, and we certainly say 'birth certificate number' (on forms, this might become BC No).

< Previous | Next >