bitch or female dog

• owlman5

English-US
    Who are you talking to? If you are talking to a dog breeder, "bitch" is a normal word in the language of that field.

If you are talking to somebody who finds "bitch" offensive, then it would be safer to use "I have a female dog."

sdgraham

USA English
    Who are you talking to? If you are talking to a dog breeder, "bitch" is a normal word in the language of that field.

If you are talking to somebody who finds "bitch" offensive, then it would be safer to use "I have a female dog."
    :thumbsup:

Not just breeders, but it's a appropriate for "serious" dog enthusiasts, including veterinarians, dog show enthusiasts, hunting-dog owners and trainers, search and rescue dog trainers, etc.

You will, however, find some people who think that just because they love their dog that they are "serious" and are offended by the term.

"Bitch" is the term used by the American Kennel Club for female dogs.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with the others. Somewhere between the lines, though, is the fact that we don't specify gender so much (in contrast to Latin languages), so possibly, if hard-pressed, "My dog is a she".

Otherwise "I have a dog" is fine. No need to specify the gender.

Readomingues

Portuguese - Brazil
    I agree with the others. Somewhere between the lines, though, is the fact that we don't specify gender so much (in contrast to Latin languages), so possibly, if hard-pressed, "My dog is a she".

Otherwise "I have a dog" is fine. No need to specify the gender.
    Thank you, perpend.

< Previous | Next >