bitch [=sexually promiscuous woman?]

Yuks

Japanese
Helloooo everyone. I have a question about the use of the word "bitch"; Do you English speakers use the word to refer to a sexually promiscuous woman?

So I learned the word is mainly used for a mean and unpleasant woman in English. Actually we have the same word in Japanese(borrowed from English) but it's only used to describe a type of woman who sleeps around with lots of men. So for a long time I thought the Japanese bitch and English bitch have different meanings.

However, my friend insisted it means the same thing in English as well. He's not a native speaker of the English language so we were wondering what native speakers of English would say about this. Please let me hear your opinions if you have time! Thanks :3

• jmichaelm

English - US
    Helloooo everyone. I have a question about the use of the word "bitch"; Do you English speakers use the word to refer to a sexually promiscuous woman?
    It does refer to an unpleasant woman and not a promiscuous one. Although it might also refer to a female dog. The context should be clear enough to tell the difference.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, Yuks!

I agree with jmichealm: it is used by some people to describe an unpleasant woman. It is also used by some gay men to refer (negatively) to other gay men. It does not reflect anyone's level of sexual activity or number of sexual partners.

Please be aware that many women, and some men, find the word extremely offensive.

Biffo

English - England
    In British English it means only an unpleasant woman or a female dog. Usually only dog-breeders use it for the latter. Most people say, "Is your dog a girl or a boy?"

In any case it has nothing specifically to do with sexual activity.

Packard

USA, English
    I agree with the above with the exception of the expression, "bitch in heat" which would describe a woman who was not only willing to have sex, but was looking forward to it, quite possibly multiple times with multiple partners.

Note: "Bitch in heat" refers originally to a female dog during her menstrual cycle during which time she gives off a scent that attracts males and makes them actively pursue her. This is a derogatory metaphor and you would not want to describe a woman as such unless you had a death wish.

< Previous | Next >