bitter wit

< Previous | Next >

oSa_at_wrcom

Turkey, Turkish
Hi, could someone explain the meaning of "bitter wit". It's taken from the following dialog:

Devil: I've been meddling with Ted's schedule, and I got you off the garbage duty. Happy?
Sam: Garden center. Great. Thanks to you, I get to shovel manure for the next 10 hours.
Devil: Oh, that's the bitter wit I love. Sock it to me, Sammy.

• oSa_at_wrcom

Turkey, Turkish
    In fact devil is very cheerful while he is saying that. Ha made a favor for Sam, but at that moment Sam doesn't know this and sulks. He will see that once he goes to garden center.

sdgraham

USA English
    As an example of bitter wit, I submit a quote of H.L. Mencken, the late American humorist:

“As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly”
    H.L. Mencken

sdgraham

USA English
    It's quite a well known quotation; he can't have been trying to pass it off as his own. I remember quoting it recently in an essay; I didn't think it needed acknowledgement.
    Upon reflection, I think I was confused by the formatting of the web page I was looking at and ascribed the quote to the wrong person.

I wish I had been aware of the quote earlier since it's applicable to something I'm writing about why members of an ad-hoc organization who deeply resent its leadership keep paying their dues instead of revolting.

Sorry, H.L.

< Previous | Next >