Black / Blacks Rights activist

< Previous | Next >

chocoleca

France, French
Bonsoir,
J'ai trouvé ces textes sur internet mais j'ai un doute concernant la correction de 'Blacks': avec ou sans 's'? J'ai un doute également sur 'give', cela me semble correct mais j'aimerais en avoir la confirmation. Merci!

"Rosa sat so Martin could walk.
Martin walked so Obama could run.
Obama ran
so our children can fly!"

"Obama ran" means Barack Obama, who ran for the office of President of the USA; and "Martin walked" refers to the Blacks Rights activist Dr Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1963 protest march on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, where King delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech. "Rosa sat" refers to an even earlier incident, when Rosa Parks refused to obey a bus driver's order that she give up her seat to make room for a white passenger.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The word needs to be in the singular for two reasons:
    • Either it means Martin Luther King was black
    • Or it means "black rights" where black is an adjective describing the kind of human rights
    In either case, it's an adjective and adjectives do not have a plural.

Secondly, "give" is in the subjunctive. This is quite rare in Britain, more common in the US.

andyjm

United Kingdom, English
    The word needs to be in the singular for two reasons:
    • Either it means Martin Luther King was black
    • Or it means "black rights" where black is an adjective describing the kind of human rights
    In either case, it's an adjective and adjectives do not have a plural.

Secondly, "give" is in the subjunctive. This is quite rare in Britain, more common in the US.
    Rare in Britain? I am British and I can't see anything out of the ordinary in that sentence, what would the average Briton say in place of "give" in that instance?

< Previous | Next >