Black Lives Matter

jasonkt

Chinese
What does “matter” mean in "Black Lives Matter"? <——-Question from original thread title added to post by moderator (Florentia52)——->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thanks, Florentia52. The reason I hesitate to go with "to be of importance" is that, if something is important, there got to be something unimportant. So if black lives matter, whose lives do not matter?
    Faulty logic, I'm afraid. That is not a sound conclusion. For example, if everyone except blacks' lives matter and we want to say that blacks lives should matter too, that is what we would say. Making that sense a bit more explicit, one could add " , too". The alternative sense is that the name proclaims the opposite of "Black lives don't matter".

jasonkt

Chinese
    Faulty logic, I'm afraid. That is not a sound conclusion. For example, if everyone except blacks' lives matter and we want to say that blacks lives should matter too, that is what we would say. Making that sense a bit more explicit, one could add " , too". The alternative sense is that the name proclaims the opposite of "Black lives don't matter".
    Thank you very much, JulianStuart.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Thanks, Florentia52. The reason I hesitate to go with "to be of importance" is that, if something is important, there got to be something unimportant. So if black lives matter, whose lives do not matter?
    It's a slogan, originally coined to counter a perceived assumption that black peoples' lives didn't matter. An adaptation of it which has been quite widely circulated is "All lives matter".