FRANCE - FRENCH
This is a poem by Dylan Thomas.

When I was a windy boy and a bit
And the black spit of the chapel fold,
(Sighed the old ram rod, dying of women),
<< --- >>
And on seesaw sunday nights I wooed
Whoever I would .... << --- >>

Any idea what "the black spit of the chapel fold" means?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • MilkyBarKid

British English
    'windy' refers to boastful talking (and as we realize later in the poem, boastful of his sexual prowess).

"black spit of the chapel fold" : firstly, this is Wales, with coal dust everywhere which gets into your mouth and lungs, so spit would include this coal dust.

So, in the eyes of the church-goers of the parish (the chapel fold), he is regarded as if the 'black spit' the miner's cough up and spit out - he is rejected, spat out as something vile and dirty by 'good people' because of his behaviour and sexual carrying-ons.

owlman5

English-US
    'windy' refers to boastful talking (and as we realize later in the poem, boastful of his sexual prowess).

"black spit of the chapel fold" : firstly, this is Wales, with coal dust everywhere which gets into your mouth and lungs, so spit would include this coal dust.

So, in the eyes of the church-goers of the parish (the chapel fold), he is regarded as if the 'black spit' the miner's cough up and spit out - he is rejected, spat out as something vile and dirty by 'good people' because of his behaviour and sexual carrying-ons.
    This sounds convincing to me, MBK. :)

se16teddy

English - England
    The full poem is here: http://www.poetryconnection.net/poets/Dylan_Thomas/1122
    Here is my interpretation:
    - black - the colour of vice, at least as judged by those who frequent the chapel;
    - spit - a thin spike of metal for cooking meat on. Rather skinny and inadequate as a phallic symbol, but soon to grow into a ramrod - a very substantial length of iron suitable for pushing gunpowder into cannons.
    - fold - the abode of sheep, in this case representing the chapel, where the flock spend their time.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >