Blackfriars Bowl or Blackfriars' Bowl?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Eva Maria, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Eva Maria Banned

Aventurières - Alexine Tinne (Las fuentes del Nilo
    Catalonia / Spain (Catalan / Spanish)
    Good afternoon/evening/morning (You choose!)

We’ve been discussing in the Spanish-English forum about the Saxon genitive in this particular case:

The “Blackfriars Bowl” (a golf trophy named after a pub)

Should the pub and the trophy alike have the genitive particle added, Blackfriars’ Bowl, or in proper names there’s no need to write the apostrophe because the sense is implicit and/or for aesthetics’ sake?

We’d like to hear your authorized native opinion!

Eva Maria

2. Ecossaise Senior Member

English
    In the case of trophies, it is often not included.

3. Eva Maria Banned

Chère Écossaise,

I assume it could also be applied for the name of a pub, then.

Thanks for your answer!

Regards,

EM

4. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    The names of buildings, streets and such sometimes dispense with apostrophes. For example in London there is a St George's Close and a St Georges Close, in different parts of the city. To be absolutely sure, since there are no rules, you need to go to an official source to find the correct form.

5. borgonyon

borgonyon Senior Member

Shreveport, Louisiana
    Mexican Spanish
    Apologyzing for moving the same thread in a different direction, is the name a singular or a plural name? That is what I was wondering. Would it be "Blackfriar's Bowl" o "Blackfriars' Bowl" if we were to use the apostrophes?
    Mod, should this be a different question? It's really a follow up to EM's question that came from the ES forum.

6. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    There must be 100s of mentions of Blackfriars in Britain (Blackfriars, a district of London--and I believe other cities and towns; Blackfriars Bridge; Blackfriars Road; Blackfriars Insurance Co.; Blackfriars just about anything) but an apostrophe is rarely seen. In a way it's just become a name, divorced in most instances from its origin in describing a religious order. So you might say that the question of an apostrophe has almost become redundant. Having said that, though, I think it derives from a plural, so if pressed I would say Blackfriars' Bowl. However, that's only "if we were to use the apostrophe"; I'm almost certain that we shouldn't ;)

7. Eva Maria Banned

Dear MM,

Thanks for all this complete information!

Now it's clear enough. Ah, here's the original thread at the E-S Forum:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=652506&highlight=blackfriars

Blackfriars Insurance Co.???? Hehehehehe! Not so religious now!

Eva Maria

PS: Dear Borgo, see you at the other end of the thread! ;)